Waiting

This evening, on Advent Sunday, we thought about waiting. We remembered stories in the Bible where people had to wait for ages - Abram and Sarai's promised son, Jesus' wait until his thirties before he began his ministry and the Israelites wandering in the desert for forty years before entering the promised land. 
We then thought about waiting for Jesus; how people had to wait hundreds of years for the coming of the Messiah prophesied by Isaiah. It puts waiting a month for Christmas into perspective. 
We then thought about waiting for Jesus to come again, when the whole Earth will know him and kneel before him. We need to be prepared so that we aren't caught out if he comes back suddenly. We wondered what we would do differently if we knew that Jesus would come back this evening...

5 Responses to “Waiting”

  1. # Blogger Mandy

    Loved this evening as always, but even more special tonight with so many of you there and especially after missing a few weeks with our trip to America. Some great thoughts about what we have to wait for especially Jens about waiting to see the "Top Gear" guys. I think you made all the boys jealous.
    Chris - if you're reading this, I shared with everyone about waiting 5 years to get my driving licence. No comments please, I've heard them all before!!
    I wonder if Laura really would share her sweets if Jesus walked in the room!!!!!!!!  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Really glad to hear you're enjoying runway Mandy. It's lovely to have you and Pat back.

    I loved the story of Jen hanging around the jigsaws in WHSmiths to get a glimpse of Richard Hammond! When I was a teen, I once queued for hours to meet Philip Schofield at our local shopping centre (he was rather dishy in those days).

    I loved James' idea that he'd bake a cake if he knew Jesus was coming back - I reckon Jesus would be really chuffed with that. I like that Cat said she'd put on her best outfit too.

    I'm not sure what I'd do... probably something lame like tidying the house! (Then again, it is Jesus coming, not my in-laws...)  

  3. # Blogger Chris

    Jen's going to see the Top Gear people? Or she already has done? So she's famous now then right?  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    No, she saw them last week. She pretty much meets a different famous person every week.

    I think she was chuffed to have met James May, but the other runway girls thought meeting Richard Hammond was far more exciting. I can see their point there...

    How are you doing Chris? Been doing any swimming in freezing conditions recently? We do miss you. :o(  

  5. # Blogger Chris

    Naa, not been swimming recently :( Although I'm at Doug's parent's house at the moment, and the resort they live in las a steam room, swimming pool, etc, so maybe...

    Check out the latest post on my blog if you have chance, there's a recording of the service the youth band led, and turn your speakers right up, or put some earphones in, because there's some things which are really quiet.

    Just thought I'd do my own lil bit of advertising...  

Post a Comment



XML feed

Creative Commons License